I can give 5 examples of how this movie shaped my thinking as an adult. I'm going to share those today.
1. Your wife is almost always right. She see's things to the heart and knows better than you the outcome. There is an early scene in Willow where Kya, Willow's wife, grabs the baby from the river and brings her into their home. It's not a huge scene but speaks volume when Willow states" Under no circumstance is anyone to fall in love with this baby!" She know long before Willow that the things that need to be protected should be and takes action. Your wife knows...just follow along.
2. Kids have a sense of who can protect them. When the fairies kidnap Willow and profess to the fact that Willow should protect the baby, it speaks to the fact that children know who will fight the hardest to protect them. They know who will allow them to grow the most and they invest in that person so they can be allowed to.
3. Churlish rogues have heart and want to share them with somebody. Madmartigan is a rogue and a devil but has a good heart. Again, kids know the hearts of most people. They see the good when everyone else is writing them off due to cultural norms. There is no one who will give you a bigger chance to change than a kid who believes in you.
4. Sometime when you are down, the person whom you least suspect will inspire you to keep on. When Marmartigan see's Willow after losing Alora Dannon, he says a couple of magical words. "Can you ride Willow? Let's ride.". Let's not give up. Let's go after this thing that has made your life something bigger. Let me help you. Let me drive you to remember what you started this for.
5. Go after something even when you know it may kick your ass. When Madmartigan see's Aric die after facing Kale, his good sense tells him to run away. Sometimes you have to commit to kicking something's ass even though you are going to bleed and hurt. The fight in some senses is more important than the victory. There are going to be things that make you kneel. The most important thing is to get back up and get back into trying to beat it's ass. Use that failure to make success.
At the end of the day, this movie was important enough that I named one of the most important things in my life after a character in this movie. I've never regretted it. I never will.